Thursday, June 27, 2013

Recipe 3 (Goal #33) - Kebabs and Zucchini Corn Picadillo


So it appears that I am a keener at accomplishing goals that entail eating but I swear I am working on other ones too. I bought tickets to Osheaga (goal #20), I have been doing planks and push ups everyday (up to 20 in a row!) and I am making all sorts weekend plans, the problem is that work, weddings and socializing get in the way (trivia and softball take a lot of my time).

Anyways this recipe is amazing, like honestly its a staple in my kitchen and its so easy that it will be in your weekly menu after the first time you cook it. I was a vegetarian for 5 years and I still don't eat any red meat or pork, however as you may have noticed I now eat poultry and fish and most of my recipes will be limited to these food groups (i love cooking everything so I am going to include some recipes I can't eat).

The kebabs are really easy to make, I usually just include red/green peppers, red onion and chicken breast pieces (you can substitute sirloin if you want red meat). The key is to make the pieces of meat large enough that they will cook evenly in the bbq (you can also make this dish in the oven - 350F for about 40 min). I season my chicken with olive oil, garlic, salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper - leave it overnight or if I am running out of time 30min in the fridge. 

For the Picadillo: Sautée onions (chopped very finely) with olive oil a bit of garlic powder and white wine, add the zucchini (cut in 1inch pieces). Cover when its simmering until the zucchini has softened and its beginning to brown. If you have a bbq roast 2 corns on the cob and shave the kernels into the simmering mix, if you are running low on time or are not barbecuing just use canned corn. Chop a handful of cilantro very finely and mix everything in a bowl. Finish off with a bit of lemon juice and add as much salt as you like. 

This dish only takes about an hour from start to eating, and its one that is delicious and healthy. You can obviously make the kebabs with any salad, and substitute the chicken with meat, lamb, shrimp.. etc the possibilities are endles. 

Love,

Maria 


0 comments:

Post a Comment