Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Recipe 8 (Goal #33) - Cheesy Broccoli and Quinoa Patties with Asparagus and Carrot "Fries"

I have been really bad about blogging lately, things at work and at home are crazy busy. My time has also been consumed by NetFlix because I started watching "Orange is the New Black", which completely took over my life. I have been cooking almost everyday, however some recipes are not worth blogging about. I also started drinking green smoothies with protein everyday, because I am in the process of (once again) becoming pescetarian (Goal # 55). 

I don't know if it is the smoothies, my new found addiction to spinning at lunch, or the weather, but lately I have been feeling AMAZINGLY happy. One of the things I know has made me cheerful is the many dinner parties I have attended or hosted, especially the ones that have happened magically with no preparation. It was at one of those impromptu parties that the patties and fries were made (Clara's idea!), with people gathered around kitchen, eating, drinking and enjoying the beauty of a carefree summer Friday afternoon.


For the patties:
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
5 large broccoli florets chopped
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1 large egg
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
Olive oil for cooking


Cook your quinoa according to the directions on the packaging, however instead of plain water use vegetable broth to add some additional flavor Let it cool, or if you don't have time stick it in the freezer for 15 minutes.

While the quinoa is cooling , sautee the onion until translucent and add the broccoli until it has softened a little bit, then let it rest for a bit [have some wine or alternatively start working on the veggie "fries"].

Mix all the ingredients together, putting the egg last. Heat the olive oil and make your patties (making them stay together is pretty hard, so don't feel bad if they don't look perfectly round). Cook them so they are golden brown but nor charred... ENJOY!


Asparagus and Carrot "Fries":

1 tbsp of butter or coconut oil
10 asparagus stalks
4 carrots (cut in half or thirds lengthwise)
Kosher salt
garlic powder
Spanish Paprika

These are delicious - trust me.

Preheat your over to 500F. Trim you asparagus, melt the butter in a large pan or wok. Add the carrots and asparagus, mix all the other ingredients well. Transfer to a baking sheet and stick in the preheated oven for 20 min. Enjoy!


Love,

Maria

0 comments:

Post a Comment